Party House Kitchen Inspiration
The kitchen is the most important part of my house. Always. Our current kitchen is the worst of the worst. I think there are apartments in New York City that are bigger than this kitchen. Given that I have a growing collection of vintage bar-ware, kitchen ware, plates, etc. this really needed to change.
Despite how tiny the actual kitchen is, there is all this extra room on the other side of the counter that is not being used very well. We've stuck a table and bench in the corner, but it could be so much better with a counter stretching into it and the other side open into the dining room.
As you can see, there are a lot of things that need to change. The priorities are:
1. Open up the kitchen onto the rest of the house.
2. Increase storage but also keep it looking really clean and simple.
3. Make it functional for all of us to work in the kitchen at the same time.
Here's the plan:
1. Remove the wall between the kitchen and dining room and push the kitchen a few feet so it's the same length as the dining room (there's currently a three foot gap).
2. Create a pantry space for storage so there doesn't need to be overhead cabinets in the kitchen + a spot for a second oven, second sink & dishwasher.
3. Create an island between the kitchen and dining room so there is ample work space all the way around the counters.
I'm dreaming of opening up the kitchen and having an island between the kitchen and the dining room. And that brass hood? Are you kidding me? I'm having a brass hood for sure. In talking to Mr. Hedin, it's actually way more affordable than it looks. We can purchase basic hood mechanics and hang them up. Then we can have a metal worker bend a frame and hang that from the ceiling around the basic mechanics. (This is why you marry a contractor ladies.)
I want the space to feel really open and light while maintaining some element of mid-century. The ribbon windows will help to bring light in without staring at the neighbors house. Having the room open to the rest of the house should help with the rest.
This is a room that I plan on spending loads of time. So I'll be putting loads of thought into this space! I can't wait to show you the next steps.
Shop the look